Saturday, July 3, 2010

(40) Ng-goi-sai

“Ng-goi-sai” is a phrase in Cantonese that translates closely to “Many thanks”. In the 40th and final episode of “Study Abroad in Hong Kong”, I’d like to give out my gratitude to all the difference-makers during the past semester.

The University of Maryland and the City University of Hong Kong have only just begun their exchange program and association with each other. I was happy enough to have my housing costs waived because of this, but I was ecstatic to hear (right before I left for HK) that I received a study abroad scholarship for this past semester! So thanks to the University, and thanks to the College of Science and Engineering for all of the financial support! I was responsible for all expenses during my study abroad, so the help was much appreciated. I delivered a thank-you letter to the Dean’s office a few days before leaving.

With spirit and team effort, the basketball team played well in competition. Like I said in Episode 23, I had a great time with my teammates and got to know them better off the court too. Thanks to all of these guys, especially to my fellow starters Wai, Jacky, Gio, and Ming.

My fellow exchange students came from all over the world, it’s a pity that I didn’t get to know all of you - there was only so much time to make new friends, and keep bonds strong with friends back home. I think Will from South Korea did the best with this: you were everyone’s friend and the life of the party - you truly exemplified the “study abroad spirit”. A lot of people will look back and remember “that crazy guy Will”.

City-U has long-standing association with many California schools, so I met a lot of students from the West Coast. Of these, I got to know Kathy from Fullerton the best. My dream grad school is Cal Tech (for engineering), so maybe we’ll run into each other if I ever get in there!

To Daniel, the Hong Kong native - I got to learn about the working life and the adult life while hanging out. You and your friends all have full-time jobs and even families of your own now, I felt like a little kid with you guys around. Wish you the best of luck with all of those “cool adult things”!

Jason from Tianjin - when I first came to Hong Kong, I often got lost while exploring. Later on, I had somebody find the right way with together. After all of our excursions, I’ll say this to you: “We make a good team.”

If I could summarize my thanks to Hong Kong in one sentence, I’d say: “Like a good book, every chapter grips you and every page flips by way too fast; once you finish, you want to start again.” Maybe we’ll start again, Hong Kong. Maybe it’s not “Good-bye”, but “See you soon” instead.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the great semester Jason! The blog has been great and it looks like you had a great time abroad! I'm sure you'll have plenty more experiences back in Hong Kong and here's to great things down the road!

    Can't believe you'll be back stateside in a week, we'll stay on the lookout for the epilogue :D

    ReplyDelete