Friday, July 9, 2010

- Epilogue

June 18th, 2010. South Peak of Mount Hua, Shaanxi Province.

I just spent a month on vacation in mainland China. The food was great: beer and kebabs have made me a little chubby, it seems - time to get back on the tennis courts! I felt like a big brother when I took my younger cousin out to lunch celebrating the end of her school year. Spending my 21st birthday with relatives was simply special; sharing it with my 2-year-old nephew was the icing... wait for it... on both cakes! Haha... Playing cards with my aunts and uncles made for fun and laughs, especially when my uncle would yell at my aunt if she made a strategic mistake (which was quite often). I also visited the graves of my great grandfather, my paternal grandfather, and my great-uncle (who was my grandfather's half-brother and best friend) in the countryside; I learned much about my own history by looking at the family trees carved on those stong tablets. It was hard to say good-bye to my birthplace, but the next trip back has already been scheduled! Every day brings my closer to seeing them all again.

Before I talk more about my vacation, I'd like to give a very special thanks to Nico G. for organizing and posting material for my blog while I was on vacation. See you at UMD soon man!

So here are the highlights of my trip in pictures:

The Great Wild Goose Pagoda, a Tang Dynasty tower over 1000 years old, is the most famous landmark from my hometown.

A plaza near the Pagoda. These are normal fountains by day, but they change colors and jump to the beat of music at night.


Staring at a big map in the Shaanxi Province History Museum. My hometown is right in the middle of the map.

Visiting the Terra-cotta warriors, one of the Wonders of the World.



"Red Rock Canyon", Yulin town of northern Shaanxi Province. This one isn't as big as the Grand Canyon, but Red Rock Canyon is famous for these sculpted characters (writing samples, if you will) from emperors and famous scholars in history.


Speedboating on the border of Shaanxi and Inner Mongolia Provinces.

The Genghis Khan Museum in Inner Mongolia Province.

Hukou, a big waterfall on the Yellow River, is shared by the Shaanxi and Shanxi Provinces. See the rainbow?



Looking at the Xi'an (my hometown) Bell Tower from the city wall.



Birthday with the nephew, the grand finale of my trip home.

Getting back in last night, my parents and I were absolutely exhausted after a full 24 hours on the road. I thought I'd sleep the entire day today, but I woke up at 4am instead. Jet lag? Of course that's some of it, but I think I'm really excited too. I've missed home; I've missed my room, my car, tennis, backyard football, American burgers... the list goes on and on. I'm happy to come back to reality, to responsibility. School and work await me in six weeks' time, my friends and parents are now.

The decision was made before I went abroad that I'd write a blog, to tell my where I've been, what I've done, the whole story. Now, I'm ready to hear theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment